Sunday, October 9, 2011

Growing Pains

When I was a little kid I looked at people my parents age and thought they were SO old. When I turned 21 I thought my mom were crazy for getting married SO young. When Michael and I brought home our vacuum cleaner we thought we were super old.....

Thinking about that I have come to realize that age is more of a mind set than the numbers of years we have been walking around this world. Example: My eating habits sit somewhere in between the ages of 5-16. I still experience food jags, sometimes to the extreme. Foods that have stayed with me since childhood? Chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, and panda express. Yes, there is always mac and cheese in my pantry. Yes, I do still order chicken nuggets when we eat at Jack in the Box (or it's equivalent) and yes...panda express used to be the regular go to rushed days.

This last year my body decided that was enough-I had to grow up mentally. About 6 months ago I ate my last panda express meal. After the meal my body said something like this, "Melissa-you suck. Stop feeding my crap. I feel crappy." I said, "You are right we do feel crappy. No more."

Panda was gone.

2 weeks ago I made some Cars shaped Mac and Cheese. While munching on the yummy cheesy noodles my body said, "Melissa you are too old for this garbage. We can't handle it anymore!" I said, "Oh body why do you hurt? Don't take this from me!....Okay you are right this isn't fun no matter how cool these shapes are."

Pantry has been emptied of those blue Kraft Mac and Cheese Boxes.

Last week after a particular busy day Michael and I met at home around 8pm. Both of us starving and neither having enough energy to make anything. With only three options close to our apartment for a fast bite we opted for Jack in the Box (over Burger King and the Subway with sketch people out front). Michael ordered a burger. I got my chicken nuggets. When we got home I was like a little kid who is jealous of their siblings. I ate half of Michael's burger and didn't enjoy my nuggets AT ALL! Good thing my husband is so sweet and lets me eat his burger while he eats my chicken nuggets.

I don't think chicken nuggets will longer be an option for me.

Eating age now? I think we have worked our way up to 18-22. I don't think Michael believes me yet....

No comments:

Post a Comment