Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Finding a Hobby

So dental school got a bit overwhelming over the summer between classes and boards study and preparing myself mentally and emotionally to enter the clinic. It was consuming my life to the extreme. So Michael being the loving husband he is suggested I get myself a hobby. He as one. He paints miniature figurines. So what could I do? It had to be in expensive, not horribly time consuming, and relaxing. A mental run through of my life's goal list took me into my life history which took me into crafts I have done which brought me to the easiest craft: crocheting.

So I went to LA's infamous fabric district, spent way to much money on Alpaca thread, wool thread, fun frizzy thread and crochet hooks and came home determined to have a hobbie. Now, between three different patterns I manage to finish something! I made a baby's koala bear hat!

As soon as I finished it I took one good look at it and thought, "Man does this look creepy? The pictures made it look SO cute!" It didn't help when I showed my parents on a trip home to Utah and asked their opinion. My mom was sweet and said it was adorable. My dad said he thought it was creepy.

That made me super nervous because I made it as a gift for Michael's cousins first baby! What if she hated it! No worries, she didn't. In fact she really liked it. She called me the other day asking for the pattern because her little guy had grown out of it and she wanted to make him another! That made me so excited. So I did a trade. I sent her the pattern she sent me super cute pictures of her baby sporting his now almost too small koala bear hat.

2 comments: