Saturday, June 25, 2011

Belize

For the past 2 years now I have been participating in an organization called AYUDA. It's a once a month mobile dental clinic that goes to various under-served communities in southern california. We set up saturday clinics in elementary schools. It's directed by a faculty member at USC and run by the dental students. I've loved going. I love learning how to interact with kids to make them feel comfortable about going to the dentist, and I just love being able to give back. This year, I was selected with about 50 other students to do on a trip down to Belize with AYUDA to do dental work for the people down there. It was such an amazing experience. I can't wait to do something like this again.

The trip started off horribly. It was a red eye flight and I was throwing up the WHOLE flight down. I mean before we got on the plane till we landed I had a bag in hand and was heaving about every 20 - 30 min. Good thing I had such great friends sitting next to me and not some stranger.

When we landed in Belize city we took a water taxi to San Pedro.

Can you tell how excited we are to be off a plane and getting on a water taxi (don't mind they way I look-I hadn't kept anything down in 8 hours)

After sitting next to me on a red-eye flight poor Tlee was lovin' that boat ride. She was such a sweetheart. 



We landed in Paradise. 


Got dressed.

and jumped right in!

With half are group having arrived a day before they were ready and waiting for the rest of the supplies

The patient's were too!

Everyone did their parts. I started off working in X-ray with Anne Scott and Tlee.

We were x-ray ninjas!


After three days in San Pedro we packed up shipped out to Kay Calker and laid everything out again. This is Michelle and Tlee. Tlee and I planned, ordered, and organized all the supplies for the trip. Michelle is in charged next year!

Water in bags was our cheapest option-so John and I enjoyed ours :)

In Kay Calker they allowed the new and up coming 3rd years to do some operative. This was my first patient! Mark (a 4th year) was such a support! Not to mention Dr. Rudlich.

My patient was so great!

After fixing some occlusal carries (cavities) on #2 and 3 (molars). We finished off with some fluoride!



I know he doesn't look too thrilled but don't be fooled. He totally came back the next day to bring his dad and brother. He wanted to make sure I saw him!

On Kaye Calker there are 3000 people, 3 grave yards, no hospital, and no cars. It has three streets and when you stand in the middle of the town you can see the ocean on both sides. Transportation consisted of golf carts and bikes. We totally rented bikes and rode all over the island! It was so much fun.


We had some laughs all the way through our trip. One of them was Tlee learning how to ride a bike. Yes, this 24 year old had just learned how to ride a bike with no training wheels. She did great till she hit the golf cart.....

Not being able to eat a lot of the fresh berries and salad their we had to go for the smoothies. Can you tell we aren't too disappointed.


In the evening we would hit up the night life on Caye Calker (island of 3000 people). The locals loved watching us karaoke. What song is best for a group like us? California girlz! We're unforgettable!


In the evenings we would meet as a group and enjoy the little sun we had left. Isn't it beautiful!

In Caye Calker I found a  pole in the water. I just had to try and climb it! Hand stands weren't so successful. 1. it was rickety 2. I've lost my abs to dental school :(

But I did manage to balance long enough for Dr. Palmer's wife Christy to get a picture!



I know the picture is totally green (lame) But I love these ladies! Yay for class of 2013!


 Me and Mercedes enjoying our snorkeling tour.
. We even had a few days to enjoy the Mayan ruins in Guatamala and snorkel off the coast of Belize. Snorkeling was amazing. The ocean is so different compared to Hawaii, California, and the Dominican Republic!  Too bad my camera totally died at the ruins.


Our water taxi back to the mainland of Belize. We got to ride on top with the captain. We are so special! Water taxi = much cooler than normal taxi's ha ha. 

Here we are! All of the International AYUDA members. Don't we look so put together :)




1 comment:

  1. OMG! That is so funny that you went to Belize! I just am checking out your blog, I follow Clothed Much and decided it was time for me to check out your blog :) I am actually from Belize, even weirder I lived in San Pedro for the first 12 years of my life! I seems like you had a marvelous time, it is a special place down there :) God Bless ~ Elena

    ReplyDelete