Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lean on Me

So when you get married you begin, without even noticing, to separate out tasks. Not completely, I mean someone always picks up the slack without even mentioning it many times. But generally Michael and I have developed a few patterns. Examples:

1. Michael mops the kitchen floor. I have never made a move to mop the floor and he has never asked me too.
2. I almost always clean the bathroom. If I don't have time Michael always cleans it, but when it comes down to Saturday cleaning I always start myself off in the bathroom.
3. When there is a choice between taking the trash out or taking Gracie out Michael always grabs the trash and I take Gracie. I like this plan because I HATE taking the trash out.

There are a lot more I'm sure and every couple has their groove that they get into with each other. This week I noticed another groove that started back when we were dating and realized how much I lean on my husband.

It started on the weekend when Michael was packing up for his interview in Missouri. Aside from double checking he had everything he needed he made sure to fill up the fridge with meals so his wife would in fact not starve while he was gone. I thought it was so sweet he would take the time.

Then, later that week he had to leave early and didn't have time to make me a lunch (yes my husband has a lunch made for me every morning I now I am totally spoiled). While running out the door he said, "Melissa I'm sorry I didn't make you lunch. There is rice, veggies, eggs, soy sauce, and chicken in the fridge. Make yourself some fried rice okay?" Fried rice-how easy is this. With all the ingredients already in the fridge I would just need to brown the rice, add the veggies and chicken, cook the egg half-way and blend it in with soy sauce. Well-I didn't aid oil to brown the rice, but the stove on high, and was brushing my teeth in the bathroom while waiting for everything to heat up. Needless to say I burned the rice really really bad. I was so sad I actually took it with me thinking it might taste okay. No-it smelled like a camp fire when I opened it up at school. The house was still smokey when I got home that night and Michael asked what had happened. I admitted my failure and he just hugged me and laughed.

Before this week I thought I was okay at cooking. This week I realized I am awful. No fault of my parents. I grew up with both of them making meals. I guess it just didn't catch on. Michael, I guess, realized this very early on in our relationship because looking back to our dating story even when he came to my apartment for dinner he always seemed to take over the preparing of the meal. So at this point in our little family Michael is the chef, I am now the sous-chef in training :)

1 comment:

  1. man, this is totally making me crave fried rice. I really want some!

    ReplyDelete